Happy Friday, readers! No review today because by noon I will be aboard a plane heading to Italy. Yes, the long awaited family vacation has arrived! For the next seven days I’ll be traipsing around Florence, Cortona, and Siena. Probably even seeing gorgeous landscapes like the one above. What a lucky lady I am.
Due to the crowds this time of year I won’t be taking in any of the big sights—the Duomo or the Uffizi, but I am hoping to visit the Medici Palace, the Basilica de Santa Maria Novella, the San Lorenzo market, and, of course the Via di Tornobuoni—the main street for shopping in Florence.
I really feel like the only thing I should be reading is A Room With a View, because it is as beautiful as Italy itself, but sadly I don’t have a copy. Instead, I’m using a Kindle (gasp! I know, I don’t do much e-reading) and am bringing a range of reading for the downtime—if there is any. Here’s what I’m bringing along:
- The Imperial Wife – Historical fiction about Catherine the Great with a modern day twist about the art world. Two of my favorite subjects!
- The Regulars – young women coming-of-age in NYC, sounds like it’s right in my wheelhouse. We’ll see.
- Still Here – Russian immigrants trying to make it in NYC
- Behind Closed Doors – psychological thriller about marriage, how can you go wrong?
- How I Became a North Korean – a novel about getting into and getting out of North Korea.